Broken Head Byron Bay has some of the most secluded and most beautiful beaches in the Northern New South Wales region. If Main Beach in Byron Bay is too crowded for you then I recommend heading south and discover the magic of Broken Head and its almost untouched beaches!
I have put together this complete guide of Broken Head including how to get there and what to expect!
Have you got travel insurance for Australia? I know that nobody likes to talk about this stuff but accidents can happen and having World Nomads Insurance can save you thousands of dollars if something goes wrong.
WHERE IS BROKEN HEAD?
Broken Head Beach is located a short 10-minute drive south of the central tourist hub of Byron Bay.
Getting around Byron Bay and visiting all the spots is best done by car or bicycle. Public buses are rare and taxi services are overpriced.
You will find that quite a lot of people hitchhike in Byron so why not give that a go if you’re up for it!
Search All ∼ Car Rentals in Byron Bay
Exploring Broken Head
THINGS TO DO IN BROKEN HEAD
Surfing the beach breaks at Broken Head is a great way to start the day. Being out in the ocean at Broken Head Beach will have you gawping at the epic surroundings of cliffs and small rocky islands that give Broken Head its name.
From Broken Head, you can explore the winding walking trail that leads you up and over the headland which is surrounded by lush rainforest.
This track will lead you to a number of smaller almost unknown isolated beaches and coves. You won’t find these spots in any glossy travel guide and I guarantee you will be blown away at the sight of these little pockets of paradise at Broken Head!
Apart from exploring the headland and taking photos of the landscapes from the hilltop, the best thing to do at Broken Head is to take a dip in the ocean and cool off.
See More ∼ Best Camera Gear For Travel
Broken Head Beach
Coastal walks at Broken Head
Going for a surf at Broken Head
PIN LOCATION OF BROKEN HEAD NSW
WHERE TO STAY NEAR BROKEN HEAD
Broken Head is best visited as a day trip from Byron Bay. There are countless accommodation options to choose from in Byron so I have narrowed it down to a few of the best places to stay to fit the needs of budget backpackers and luxury travelers. See the list of accommodations below that I personally recommend:
Luxury: The Watermark
Mid Range: Glen Villa Resort
Budget: Nomads Backpackers
MORE SPOTS NEAR NEAR BROKEN HEAD BYRON BAY
There are many beaches and waterfalls to discover in the Broken Head region which I have listed below:
BEST BYRON BAY TOURS
AIRBNB BYRON BAY
Another option for accommodation in Byron is to stay at an Airbnb, which generally has some great deals in the Byron Bay area.
MY CAMERA GEAR
• DSLR Mirrorless Camera: Sony A7ii
• Drone Camera: DJI Mavic Pro 2
• GoPro: GoPro Hero 8 Black
• Everyday Lens: Sony F2.8 24/70mm
• Camera Bag: Lowepro Protactic 31L
• Selfie Stick: Sandmarc Metal Edition 1.2m
• Tripod: Joby Flexible GorillaPod
• GoPro Dome: Underwater GoPro Dome
• Power Bank: Anker Powerbank
• External Hardrive: WD Elements 4TB
WHAT TO PACK FOR AUSTRALIA?
• Waterproof Phone Case: Universal Waterproof Case
• Reusable Water Bottle: Hydro Flask Water Bottle
• Rain Jacket: North Face Rain Jacket
• Water Shoes: Slip-on Water Shoes
• Day Bag: Nomatic 20L Day Bag
• Power Adapter: Universal Power Adapter
• Packing Cubes: 4 Set Packing Cubes
• Microfibre Towel: Quick Dry Travel Towel
• Travel Insurance: World Nomads Travel Insurance
• Money Belt: Hidden Money Belt
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and if you have any questions about Broken Head, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as I can!