A Uyuni Salt Flats Tour is a must-do on everyone’s Bolivia itinerary. Uyuni Salt Flats, also known as Salar de Uyuni, is the world’s largest salt flat, stretching for more than 11,000km². It truly is one of the most remarkable vistas on planet earth!
I spent one full day exploring the incredible Bolivia Salt Flats and have put together this detailed guide with everything you need to know about the Uyuni Salt Flats Tour including where to book and what to expect.
Search All ∼ La Paz to Uyuni flights
WHERE IS SALAR DE UYUNI
The Uyuni Salt Flats are so massive that it actually crosses the borders of three countries in South America – Bolivia, Chile and Argentina. Though most Salar de Uyuni tours operate out of Uyuni in Bolivia, a small dusty town approximately 540kms south of La Paz.
HOW TO GET TO SALAR DE UYUNI
There are two options to consider when looking at how to get to Salar de Uyuni and they are by bus or plane.
Bus from La Paz to Uyuni:
- The cheapest and most common way of reaching the Uyuni Salt Flats is by taking an overnight bus from La Paz to Uyuni and the journey takes around 8-hours. I personally travelled on Cruz del Sur bus lines and booked my ticket directly from the counter on the day of travel at Terminal De Buses Lapaz. You can then travel back from Uyuni to La Paz by bus after the one-day Salt Flats Tour.
La Paz to Uyuni flights:
- A faster and more convenient way of reaching Salar de Uyuni is by taking a 50-minute flight from La Paz to Joya Andina Airport in Uyuni. La Paz to Uyuni flights operate on a daily basis.
Uyuni Salt Flats Tour
Bolivia Salt Flats Tour
WHERE TO BOOK A UYUNI SALT FLATS TOUR
There are dozens of tour operators and offices located in both Uyuni and La Paz to book a Uyuni Tour, but in my experience, it can be overwhelming trying to decide which operator to book a tour through without being ripped off.
Alternatively, you can book your Uyuni Salt Flats Tour online in advance to avoid the hassle of having to organise a trip once you have arrived. I recommend finding a tour that best suits you on the Get Your Guide website. They have thousands of travel deals worldwide that are affordable and reliable!
Click Here to search for all Salar Uyuni Tours and book online ahead of time!
I personally booked my Uyuni Salt Flats Tour with Madre Tierra Travel, an adventure tour company that offers dozens of tours throughout South America.
Click Here to book a Salar de Uyuni Tour with Madre Tierra Travel.
The world’s biggest mirror – Salar Uyuni Tour
Can you spot your flag?! – Salar De Uyuni Tours
WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE UYUNI SALT FLATS TOUR
A one-day Uyuni Salt Flats Tour not only includes a 4×4 trip out on to the world’s largest salt flat but also a visit to the Uyuni Train Cemetery, lunch at a local restaurant, salt museum and village markets, Hotel de Sal (the world’s first salt hotel), giant cacti at Incahuasi island and an unforgettable sunset at the largest mirror in the world!
The Uyuni Salt Flats Tour begins at 10am and finishes after sunset at around 6pm.
Book Now ∼ Uyuni Salt Flats Tour
BEST TIME TO VISIT BOLIVIA SALT FLATS
The best time to visit Bolivia Salt Flats, funnily enough, is in the rainy season which is December to April in order to witness the reflective mirror effect on the salt flats. During the dry season in May to November temperatures are much cooler and the ground hardens. The peak season for Uyuni Salt Flats Tours is typically from June to August and prices are known to rise during this time.
SALAR DE UYUNI FACTS
Before visiting, here are some Salar de Uyuni facts you may find interesting:
- Uyuni altitude is 3, 700m above sea level
- Uyuni salt flats measures 11,000km² making it the world’s largest salt flat
- 11 billion tonnes of salt is believed to be within Salar de Uyuni
- NASA uses Uyuni Salt Flats to figure out the positioning of their satellites
- Formed by prehistoric lakes that evaporated long ago
- Pink flamingos have been spotted at Uyuni Salt Flats
Book Now ∼ Uyuni Salt Flats Tour
Train Cemetery – Uyuni Tour
Uyuni Salt Flats Tour
The village markets – Salar de Uyuni Tour
Hotel de Sal – Salar Uyuni Tour
Inside the Hotel de Sal – Bolivia Salt Flats
Drone shot of Incahuasi Island – Uyuni Salt Flats Tour
Giant cacti on Incahuasi island – Uyuni Tour
4×4 cruisin’ on the Uyuni Salt Flats Tour
The world’s biggest mirror
LA PAZ ACCOMMODATION
La Paz has hundreds of accommodation options to choose from, so I have narrowed it down to a few of my favourite places to stay in La Paz to fit the needs of budget backpackers and luxury travellers. See the list of accommodations below that I personally recommend:
Luxury: Tecno Boutique Hotel
- Tecno Boutique Hotel, a modern 5-star hotel centrally located in La Paz, provides air-conditioned rooms with flat screen TV’s and private bathrooms, a fitness centre, hot tub, sauna, in-house restaurant, room service and free WiFi. A buffet breakfast is also included with the room. Perfect for travellers with a larger budget.
Mid Range: Selina La Paz
- Selina La Paz is perfect for families, couples and solo travellers! Great location in La Paz offering double, triple and dormitory rooms at an affordable price. Selina also features a billiards table, in-house restaurant and bar for all guests. This is a 3-star accommodation.
Budget: The Rooftop Bolivia
- The Rooftop Bolivia is rated one of the best accommodations in La Paz for budget travellers. Featuring a bar, shared lounge, city views, restaurant, shared kitchen, free wifi and a nightclub! The Rooftop has dorms and private rooms available and breakfast is included.
SALAR DE UYUNI MAP
Want to travel full-time? ∼ Click Here To Learn How!
Thanks for reading this article and if you have any questions at all about the Uyuni Salt Flats Tour, please leave me a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Happy Travels! ?
↓ PIN THIS ARTICLE FOR LATER ↓